Date:      Wed, 30 Oct 2002 09:23:35 -0700
From:      Nate Williams <nate@yogotech.com>
To:        Alexey Zelkin <phantom@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        Greg Lewis <glewis@eyesbeyond.com>, Nate Williams <nate@yogotech.com>, Mikhail Kruk <meshko@cs.brandeis.edu>, java@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: wake up call for Sun?

> > > For scalability purposes, they would need 'native' FreeBSD threads.  The
> > > linux thread stuff works, but doesn't scale more.
> >
> > True.  I note that there is now a KSE based pthreads library in -CURRENT.
> > This will eventually become the target for the JDK, which will hopefully
> > address a lot of issues in this regard.
>
> Yep. It will help a lot, but...
>
> * Only after it get into usable shape (it's pretty expiremental now)

True.

> * Only after signaling become working (not yet implmeneted)

I thought they had gotten signaling working as well as could be
expected?

> * Only after 5.x-RELEASE become real and stable release (not early than
> 6 months from now, per current estimates)

I'm guessing that something like the JDK would be a great way to wring
out the bits, so the sooner someone starts working on porting the JDK to
using it, the quicker the bugs will get found and fixed.  I doubt
anything would be as good at testing the code than the JDK. :) :)

> * And last, assuming KSE stuff working as expected (looks promising
> and quite real)

We can hope...

Nate