Date:      Tue, 2 Jun 2009 18:41:16 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Michael L. Squires" <mikes@siralan.org>
To:        Gary Gatten <Ggatten@waddell.com>
Cc:        Martin McCormick <martin@dc.cis.okstate.edu>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: Can One Query an Oracle 10 Data Base under FreeBSD?

On Tue, 2 Jun 2009, Gary Gatten wrote:

> Surely there's a native Oracle SQL or ODBC client in the ports
> collection.  Have you checked there?

There is a port of the Oracle instant client which runs under Linux
emulation in /usr/ports/databases/linux-oracle-instantclient-<basic,sdk,sqlplus>

This appears to use the 10.2.0.3 Oracle Linux instant client.

I used them some time ago to query an Oracle 10g server, but I didn't test
them extensively.

There are also what appear to be older native clients from the Oracle 7 and 8
days, including an Oracle ODBC client.

A search of the freebsd-databases mailing list might turn up something.

I've been peeking at Talend's Open Studio which appears to be a very powerful
tool for working with databases, including Oracle.  This may be trying to
shoot a mouse with a 155mm self-propelled gun, however.  Talend is open source
and there are Linux binaries which may run under FreeBSD Linux emulation.

Mike Squires