Date:      Tue, 01 Feb 2000 17:34:02 -0800
From:      paul <prg22@mindspring.com>
To:        FreeBSD-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   ATAPI CDROM/Controller problem

I have a generic 24X ATAPI CDROM which the system detects as a NEC
cdrom.  I know the drive and controller work because I have run them
without problems on other OS's.  But when the FreeBSD (3.4) installation
starts to copy files from the CD, the CDROM will stop spinning and
freeze up.  These are the error messages i get:

"atapi1.0: controller not ready for cmd"
"atapi1:0: ERROR 2, status=0, error=0"

these two messages continue to scroll down the screen and the CDROM will
never recover from this until I reboot.  The only way I have found to
temporarily fix this and be able to install is to disable my primary and
secondary cache (it has to be both) in the bios.  The CDROM works fine
like this but the system slows to a crawl.  Once FreeBSD is installed I
re-enable the cache and start using the system.  But if I try to copy
anything from the CDROM, sometimes it works, but most of the time I get
the same errors and have to reboot.

I have an asus P3B-F motherboard and am using the onboard IDE
controllers.  I have tried swapping the controllers for HD and CDROM,
bios controller options, and every combination of kernel flags and
options I can think of and have not fixed this problem. I have also
re-installed FreeBSD a few times because I end up having to reset so
many times that the file system eventually gets damaged.

I have attempted to fix this with posts to FreeBSD news groups and IRC
channels without success.  The only thing I can think of is that maybe I
have an "ATAPI CDROM drive which doesn't quite fit the specification" as
stated in "The Complete FreeBSD" which lead me to this e-mail address.

FreeBSD is awesome!  I just need help with this "serious" problem so I
can start enjoying it.  Thank you for any help.

Paul Garcia
prg22@mindspring.com