Date:      Fri, 12 Dec 1997 22:59:20 GMT
From:      jak@cetlink.net (John Kelly)
To:        Archie Cobbs <archie@whistle.com>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, torvalds@transmeta.com
Subject:   Re: (fwd) Re: F00F bug *fixed* in 2.0.x kernels

On Fri, 12 Dec 1997 11:58:47 -0800 (PST), Archie Cobbs
<archie@whistle.com> wrote:

>> > Anyway, first I'd like to point out the "if .. indeed" clause of that
>> > part, just in case somebody missed it.
>>
>> I don't think anyone missed it.  However, the phrasing was same as the
>> question ``Have you stopped beating your wife yet?''  EG: it presupposes
>> circumstances that are not true.  In this case, the assumption is that the
>> fix was actually used by FBSD in the first place.
>
>Oh come on everyone. No need to make a big deal out of it.

Most people skim read email just to keep up.  When reading that fast,
you rarely take time to carefully analyze each sentence to notice the
"if ... indeed" that Linus uses as his defense.

What sticks in the minds of readers is the "sorry lot of incompetent
idiots" that Linus applies to FreeBSD users and developers.  His
statement was posted publicly, in a place not frequented by FreeBSD
users who might challenge it.  It was read by thousands of people who
take his word as truth.  If he wanted to criticize FreeBSD in such a
blatant manner, he should *not* have done it in a Linux newsgroup.

That makes his remarks utterly irresponsible.

>Linus is a friendly guy and meant no harm.

Drunks who kill people on the highways may be friendly and mean no
harm too.  Alcohol is not the only way to become intoxicated.  Power,
imagined or real, can intoxicate too.

John