Date:      Mon, 16 Aug 1999 10:26:00 +0200
From:      Geoff Rehmet <geoffr@is.co.za>
To:        "'current@freebsd.org'" <current@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Dropping connections without RST

After the discussions regarding the "log_in_vain"
sysctls, I was thinking about a feature I would
like to implement:

Instead of sending a RST (for TCP) or Port Unreachable
(for UDP) where the box is not listening on a socket,
I would like to implement a sysctl, which disables the
sending of the RST or the Port unreachable.  This is
basically for public servers (like DNS servers), which
I want to turn into black holes on ports where they
are not listening.  (This confuses things if someone
strobes the machines, and also makes life a little
more difficult for anyone who tries to portscan them.)

In default configuration, everything would behave as per
normal, and you would have to set a sysctl MIB before the
behaviour that I have described is displayed.

Can anyone think of any reason why this feature should
not be implemented?

Geoff.
--
Geoff Rehmet, The Internet Solution - Infrastructure
tel: +27-11-283-5462, fax: +27-11-283-5401 mobile: +27-83-292-5800