Date:      Wed, 11 May 2011 21:43:35 -0300
From:      "Dr. Rolf Jansen" <rj@cyclaero.com>
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   multiple clients behind the same NAT connecting a L2TP/IPsec VPN server behind another NAT

I have setup a VPN-Server on my FreeBSD 8.2 Release i386 machine, using =
the following requisites:

  - customized GENERIC Kernel builded with the following
    additional options and devices:
    IPSEC, IPSEC_FILTERTUNNEL, IPSEC_NAT_T, crypto, enc

  - ports/security/ipsec-tools (v0.8.0)
    compiled with NATT enabled and NATTF disabled

  - ports/net/mpd5 (v5.5)

The server sits in the DMZ behind a SOHO router. Everything is working =
fine so far. I can establish connections from multiple external clients =
at the same time. Even connections from within a NAT'ed local network =
via the internet to my L2TP/IPsec server do work.

The only remaining problem is, that from behind the same NAT only one =
client works well. As soon as a connection between a second client and =
the server has been established, the communication of both break down. =
The racoon log shows nothing noticeable here, and according to the log =
both connections are established successfully, anyhow, the communication =
is blocked.

racoon is configured to generate unique policies.

When a client disconnects from the server, racoon usually purges 2 =
IPsec-SA shortly after. The interesting thing in the case of 2 clients =
from the same NAT is, that it purges one IPsec-SA from the client just =
disconnected, and 1 belonging to the client that is still connected. So, =
it seems that the internal SA house holding of racoon got confused.

I am investigating this already for some days, and finally I would like =
to ask to the experts, whether this is perhaps an issue of the =
ipsec-tools (racoon/setkey), and not with my setup. I am willing to =
spent more time on this only if there is some chance that this can be =
resolved.

So, is there anybody out there, who can successfully establish VPN =
connections from multiple clients behind the same NAT to a L2TP/IPsec =
Server running ipsec-tools and mpd5?

If yes, please may we discuss more in detail my setup?

If no, I would be still grateful for some insights.

BTW: Using only mpd5, I setup also a PPTP-VPN server running in parallel =
to the L2TP/IPsec one. Multiple PPTP-VPN clients behind the same NAT =
work perfectly well with my server - So, I tend to believe that it is =
really an issue with the IPsec part and not with the L2TP (mpd5) part of =
my setup.

Many thanks in advance for any reply

Best regards

Rolf