Date:      Wed, 5 Sep 2007 08:46:17 -0700
From:      "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
To:        <mchauber@gmx.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: Sadly, my tinker-time has run out....

Thank you!

> But I'll be damned if you
> don't parse me
> off sometimes.  :)

That is my job.  The ONLY way to get someone to re-examine their
assumptions is to piss them off.  It's why politicians get more
votes rabble-rousing than telling everyone how great things are.

And naturally, those that don't want to re-examine their own
ass-umptions don't like being pissed off, don't like rabble-rousers,
and bitch when they see rabble-rousing.

But, change never happens easy.  Your not going to get a Windows
users switched over to Open Source unless you piss him off - force
him to defend his ass-umption that Windows is the greatest
operating system since sliced bread.  Doing this is what gets him
to re-examine his assumptions.  And that is after all the name
of the game here - to get the people away from the unhealthy MS monopolizing
of the computer business that are salvagable.

> Anyway...  A public apology for a public ass-showing...  And I
> don't want to
> leave the board with the impression that I'm an ass (or at least
> a complete
> one),

No problem Mike - and I apologize as well for saying you were whining.
As I said, I didn't take your post originally as a troll's post.  But
I do take exception to the implication - perhaps unintended - that
Ubuntu takes less "tinker-time".

Ubuntu is configured a certain way - if your needs align with how it
is configured it is going to take less time -for you- to tweak.  As is,
Windows is configured a certain way, if it aligns with someone's
needs then it will take less time for -that- person to tweak.  This is
how it is with all the "canned configuration" operating systems.

Right now Ubuntu is growing very fast since it's canned configuration
is the closest alignment with Windows among the Linuxes, so it's
really easy to get dissatisfied Windows users who aren't willing to
expend a lot of effort migrating.  And it's natural for new users of
any OS to wax poetic about it's good points - after all that's why
they moved over - so I have to remember that right now there's going
to be a lot of Ubuntu new users waxing poetic about how great Ubuntu
is.  But it is trying to have to read the same thing over and over
on the public mailing lists and message boards.

As I said, don't apologize for using an OS that matches your needs
better than FreeBSD.  Just don't assume that everyone's needs are
the same as yours, and we would all be spending less time tinkering
with Ubuntu, or even FreeBSD for that matter.

Ted