Date:      Mon, 3 Dec 2001 20:21:19 -0800
From:      "Drew Tomlinson" <drew@mykitchentable.net>
To:        <gregory.lane@anu.edu.au>, <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Cc:        <jacks@sage-american.com>
Subject:   Re: Dynamic IP Resolvers

----- Original Message -----
From: "Greg Lane" <gregory.lane@anu.edu.au>
To: <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Cc: <jacks@sage-american.com>
Sent: Monday, December 03, 2001 7:48 PM

> On Mon, Dec 03, 2001 at 09:36:08PM -0600, jacks@sage-american.com
wrote:
> > A while back, some one mentioned some web sites that provide
services with
> > a method of resolving DNS for servers running on dynamic IPs.
>
> I use the services of www.dyndns.org. You go through some simple setup
> on their web-site and then install a client program that monitors
> your dynamic IP. I use ipcheck (requires python) and run it
> from cron every five minutes.

I started with www.dynip.com (about $35 US per year).  Now I use
www.zoneedit.com.  ZoneEdit is free for up to 5 domains.  It's a little
more difficult to set up as they don't have a client program
pre-packaged but they give an example of a lynx command that will
update.  Right now I update once an hour as that is the most frequent
allowed and run it as a cron job.  I intend to write a script that
stores my current IP in a file and then checks my current IP against
what is stored.  If the two don't match, then update.  This should allow
me to have faster updates and take load off the ZoneEdit servers by only
updating when necessary.

HTH,

Drew