Date:      Mon, 12 Mar 2001 19:48:20 -0800
From:      Desmond Lee <jenson@attcanada.ca>
To:        z thompson <cublai@earthlink.net>, lanehol@bellsouth.net, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: x-windows not working

Hi Guys

Thanks a lot for your help. Unfortunately I'm still not able to get the
x-server going and it still stalls.

what i did was the follwoing:
I reinstalled free bsd and got a bunch of messages saying that the
pc98-servers/x9480, pc98-servers/x9EGC, pc98-servers/X9GA9,.... etc
couldn't get transfered.

Also, i got a message saying " unable to transfer the x1k98 distribution
from acdoc" and " unable to transfer the X9set distribution from acdoc".

I then took Zach Thompson's advice and didn't configure the x-server and
continued w/ the rest of the installation config. set up stuff. I then
rebooted and logged in as root and tried to configure the xfree86 after
running "/stand/sysinstall". Unfortunately, upon finishing the
configuration, the
x-server still hangs when it tries to start.

I then had to press control-alt-del to reboot. I then tried to take Lane's
advice and look in the "/var/log/XFree86.0.log but there was no files with
names similar to this in the var/log directory.

So, now i'm back to square one. I have free bsd installed, but no pretty
graphical component. IF anyone could please help that would be great.

Thanks in advance

regards
desmond lee