Date:      Sat, 1 Mar 2003 00:50:31 +0100
From:      Joan Picanyol i Puig <lists-freebsd-stable@biaix.org>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   (da0:ahc0:0:0:0): Unexpected busfree in Data-in phase and other weirdness

[reposted from -scsi@, maybe that's not the right place]

Hi,

On an Adaptec 2940 I have an IBM DNES-309170W and a SEAGATE ST318438LW,
soft-raided with vinum. Lately it seems that the Seagate disc has become
'unstable', and I don't know how to diagnose any further. I've checked
the cabling and I've tried the SeaTools floppy disk from Seagate but it
hangs on my system :(

Please have a look at the excerpt of kernel logs at
http://biaix.org/pk/debug/. messages.1.kernel shows what happened (look
for Feb 4) while recording a cd with my SCSI cd-writer. The system
appeared to hang for anything between 3 and 20 minutes while I was
getting those.  messages.0.kernel shows what happened today (Feb 27) for
no apparent reason. Problems persisted across reboots, even though some
of them were not logged (could not fsck).

For further reference, please look at this thread from two months ago:
http://www.FreeBSD.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=2329637+0+/usr/local/www/db/text/2002/freebsd-questions/20021222.freebsd-questions

I'm really stumped so I'd appreciate any help in the lines of:

1.- What's causing these problems?
2.- How can I solve them?

tks
--