Date:      Sat, 29 Oct 2011 14:01:08 +0100
From:      Mike Clarke <jmc-freebsd2@milibyte.co.uk>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        hvn <huubvanniekerk@gmail.com>
Subject:   Re: update packages by pkg_add

On Saturday 29 October 2011, hvn wrote:

> Using version 8.2, can somebody tell me how I can upgrade packages
> that I installed using pkg_add? I'm trying to install more packages
> but get messages that there are package-conflicts because of older
> installed version.

pkg_delete -f name-of-package
pkg_add name-of-package-file

The pkg_delete command needs the full name of the package including the
version number at the end. Since you're going to immediately re-install
the package you don't need to worry about any warning messages saying
that the package is needed by other packages.

The above pkg_add command will install a package from a file that you've
already downloaded. If you don't have the package file then you can
fetch and install the package from an FTP site with the command:

pkg_add -r name-of-package

--
Mike Clarke