Date:      Fri, 15 Mar 1996 23:35:56 -0500 (EST)
From:      John Brann <jbrann@panix.com>
To:        davidc@pdd.3com.com (David Clear)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Availability of Win95 Filesystem on FreeBSD?

David Clear wrote...

> Hi, Two questions:
>
> +  Can FreeBSD 2.1 msdosfs read/write my Windows 95 partition with long
>    file names?

Yes, though you won't see the long names, just the elided 8 character ones.

> +  Can I trust FreeBSD not to trash my '95 filesystem? (I remember in
>    the past, the msdos filesystem was write-once, read-no-more).

Trust, tricky word that.  It works for me, but I don't use it much.
All the horror stories I've seen refer to systems where FIPS was used
to create the FreeBSD partition.  I used Win95's FDISK, and re-installed it.

> If the answer to either of those is no, are there any estimates on when
> this may happen? (ok, 3 questions)

I believe the MSDOSFS stuff is being worked on - ask the hackers for details.

> Regards,
> David.

John

--
Beavis and Butt-Head;  Vladimir and Estragon for the '90s.

finger jbrann@panix.com for pgp public key