Date:      Mon, 15 Apr 1996 12:00:43 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@GndRsh.aac.dev.com>
To:        scrappy@ki.net (Marc G. Fournier)
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Really stupid question of the day

> Hi...
>
> 	I just found out that the machine I'm running -current on is,
> in fact, a 486DX4-100, not a 486DX2-66 as I was earlier led to believe.
Intel?  Amd?  If Intel, is it a DX4100ODPR or ODP?  If Amd is it an NV8T
or SV8B?

> 	The motherboard jumper settings are set as being a DX2, not a
> DX4...could that, in any way, cause the problems that I've recently
> been experiencing on that machine, or would this be totally irrelevant?

It could, especially if the motherboard has decided that you need 5V for
that chip.  (Yes, the chip will run, but it will run very very hot, and
very likely have really strange problems, if set for 5V when infact it
is a 3V chip).