Date:      Mon, 2 Aug 1999 10:55:44 +0200 (SAST)
From:      Robert Nordier <rnordier@nordier.com>
To:        phk@critter.freebsd.dk (Poul-Henning Kamp)
Cc:        mike@smith.net.au (Mike Smith), bde@zeta.org.au (Bruce Evans), current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: junior-hacker task: "prepdisk"

> >What fails?  Can you be more specific?  How recent are your boot1/boot2
> >blocks?  I would be inclined to dd at least 8k over the front of the
> >disk myself, but I don't think that's relevant in your case.
>
> Disk error #1 while trying to load boot/loader.  I think the bios
> in this case trust the 50000 in the length field of the mbr.

Any better luck after enabling "LBA access" in boot1 as a build
option (added back a few weeks ago), or does the BIOS not support
this?

BTW: Is this a genuine hard drive, or some form of disk-on-a-chip?
I seem to recall the BIOS geometry in some cases uses a small number
of sectors per track, which may push part of the 'a' partition
beyond the 1023 CHS limit.

Anyway, if some debugging code would help here, let me know.

--
Robert Nordier