Date:      Tue, 26 Jun 2007 12:32:21 +0400
From:      Xazker Xazkerov <xazkerx@mail.ru>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re[2]: Have some troubles after deleting group of packages...

Oliver Fromme wrote:

> Xazker Xazkerov wrote:
>  > Recently I've deleted some packages on my server, those packages
>  > was installed on It at 21.06.07(DATE) by mistake. What to learn
>  > exactly which packages was installed on system, I used command "ls
>  > -la /var/db/pkg|grep "Jun 21" ".
>
> I'm afraid that was a mistake.  When you install a package,
> sometimes new files are written to thesubdirectories of
> other packages in order to record dependencies.  The time
> of those directories are also updated.  If you deleted them
> all, then you probably deleted too many.

When I've understood it, it was too late :)

> To fix that, review the list of deleted packages (if you
> don't remember it, then try to look for the pkg_delete
> commands in your shell's history).  Install any that might
> be still needed.

I have "HISTFILE=/dev/null" in my .zshrc :( , so this variant is not for me.

>  > After it I've deleted those packages by "pkg_delete" command. Firstly
>  > it seemed all OK, but later I have collided with such problems:
>  >
>  > $ sudo tcpdump
>  > /libexec/ld-elf.so.1: /lib/libpcap.so.4: Shared object has no run-time symbol table
>
> That's strange, because /lib/libpcap.so.4 is part of the
> FreeBSD base system.  It doesn't come from any package.
>
> It seems that something else was also broken inadvertently,
> apart from the package deletions.  What time stamp does
> that library have?  You might have to reinstall that file
> from installation media (CD, FTP server or similar).  Or,
> if you have the system sources installed, you can rebuild
> and install that library in /usr/src/lib/libpcap:
>
> # cd /usr/src/lib/libpcap
> # make clean depend all install
>
>  > Except for that, when I was trying to build hping, I've got such error:
>  > [...]
>  > /usr/lib/libpcap.so: file not recognized: Memory exhausted
>
> That's probably caused by the same thing.

After long tortures I have spat upon it and just copied /libexec/ld-elf.so.1 and /lib/libpcap.so.4
from my Install CD.The size of files from CD was a little bit less, than those which were on server.
After this actions all this come to norm. But I till now don't know how it was might happened...
Maybe it was freebsd-update or something else....
Every night "chkrootkit" command is starting up by cron, but there was nothing strange in it's reports.
I regret that I haven't installed "aide" on my server earlier, maybe this programm can help me understand what was going wrong. Next time I'll try to be clever.

>  > I am very sorry for my cRoOKeD English.
>
> You're perfectly comprehendible.  I think your English is
> not worse than mine.  :-)
>
> Best regards
>    Oliver
>
> --
> Oliver Fromme, secnetix GmbH & Co. KG, Marktplatz 29, 85567 Grafing b. M.
> Handelsregister: Registergericht Muenchen, HRA 74606,  Geschäftsfuehrung:
> secnetix Verwaltungsgesellsch. mbH, Handelsregister: Registergericht Mün-
> chen, HRB 125758,  Geschäftsführer: Maik Bachmann, Olaf Erb, Ralf Gebhart
>
> FreeBSD-Dienstleistungen, -Produkte und mehr:  http://www.secnetix.de/bsd
>
> "In My Egoistical Opinion, most people's C programs should be indented
> six feet downward and covered with dirt."
>         -- Blair P. Houghton

Best regards,
    Roman.