Date:      Fri, 1 Jun 2007 17:28:46 -0400
From:      Garance A Drosehn <gad@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com>, kris@obsecurity.org
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.org, ade@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Uggg!

At 1:14 PM -0600 6/1/07, Warner Losh wrote:

>The ONLY data corruption that I saw when my laptop died was *ALL*
>of the +CONTENTS files going away.  It seems to have died during
>the updating of the meta-data for the dvdauthor port.  Why all
>the files of unreleated packages would disappear is a mystery to
>me, unless mergemaster, or one of the pkg tools, deleted them all,
>and then wanted to rewrite them and I got screwed between these
>two steps.

Hmm.  Now that you mention it, when I recently rebuilt 7.x on my
PowerPC system, I did happen to notice that all the +CONTENTS files
were re-written at some step.  I wanted to rebuild all my ports due
to the new version of gcc, so I started by rebuilding some ports
like portupgrade and ruby, and then did a:
     ls -ltr /var/db/pkg

to see what hadn't been rebuilt yet.  I noticed that all of the
directories had changed at that point.  That, in turn, was because
all the +CONTENTS files has been re-written, even though I had only
updated those two ports.  At the time, I assumed that was just
because something major had changed in portupgrade.

But looking at
     ls -ltr /var/db/pkg/*/+CONTENTS

right now, it seems that 48 of the 54 ports that I have installed
have the same last-modify time.  The remaining six ports are ports
which upgraded after that common last-change time, so they could
also have been changed at the common time.

Based on my bash history, it looks like the command:

portupgrade -f cdecl pkg_tree md5deep zip unix2dos fping \
                trafshow iperf help2man pftop

finished around the same time that all the +CONTENTS files were
rewritten, but it's hard to say for sure.  And I just did the
command again, and it did not cause all the +CONTENTS files to
be rewritten.  Of course, this time it wasn't really changing
anything, since all of these ports are exactly the same as when
I last built them.

--
Garance Alistair Drosehn     =               drosehn@rpi.edu
Senior Systems Programmer               or   gad@FreeBSD.org