Date:      Thu, 6 Mar 2014 16:57:22 -0700 (MST)
From:      Dale Scott <dalescott@shaw.ca>
To:        Rick Miller <vmiller@hostileadmin.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 10 + Apache + PHP

So far as I am aware, php5 must be built from ports only if you need to bui=
ld mod_php for apache. If you use php-fpm with apache you can use binary pa=
ckages for everything. I'm trying to work through a packages-only system wi=
th nginx, php, php extensions, and MariaDB/MySQL) all installed using binar=
y packages. I'm hoping that using pkg to upgrade binary packages will be a =
huge time savings over "postmaster -af", but the critical thing (from what =
I've read) is to have a 100% binary packages system (with absolutely nothin=
g from ports).

Certainly it has been shown hybrid solutions are possible, but I'd rather b=
e a dumb user and spend more time on app dev.

Dale