Date:      Fri, 21 Mar 1997 13:46:53 -0600
From:      "Jeffrey J. Mountin" <sysop@mixcom.com>
To:        Brian Tao <taob@risc.org>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG, isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: problem with over 133 virutal domains with apache on 2.1.7

At 03:58 PM 3/16/97 -0500, Brian Tao wrote:
>On Wed, 12 Mar 1997, David Langford wrote:
>>
>> When I add my 134'th virtual domain to apache it says it can no
>> longer figure out its hostname and wants me to set ServerName
>
>    You are probably running out of file descriptors (defaults to
>FD_SETSIZE=256 per process) because you have separate access and error
>logs for each virtual domain.  You'll probably have to rebuild your
>kernel with FD_SETSIZE=1024 (or whatever) and recompile Apache with
>that value as well.

You didn't mention the file.  Is /sys/sys/types.h correct?

I haven't run out yet, but there have been some problems when files are
copied via an NFS mount.  Have to rebuild and see if this was indeed the
problem.

This was something I was wondering about, but I don't think that FBSD has
the kernel guide that BSDi does (/usr/share/doc/bsdi/config.ps).  Any such
creature?

>    Also, are you running named on that box?  I think named by default
>will try to bind to every IP address it finds (at least it did last I
>checked with BIND 4.9.5).  There is a patch for BIND that lets you
>specify which IP's to listen on.

I don't recommend running DNS on a server that is doing virtual web hosts.

Jeff Mountin - System/Network Administrator
jeff@mixcom.net

MIX Communications
Serving the Internet since 1990