Date:      Mon, 13 Oct 2003 15:29:58 +0200
From:      Andre Albsmeier <andre.albsmeier@siemens.com>
To:        Matthias Andree <ma@dt.e-technik.uni-dortmund.de>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: help needed debugging SCSI bus problem

On Sun, 12-Oct-2003 at 14:42:13 +0200, Matthias Andree wrote:
> Joan Picanyol <lists-freebsd-stable@biaix.org> writes:
>
> > ahc0: <Adaptec 2940 Ultra2 SCSI adapter> port 0x1000-0x10ff mem
> > cd0: <YAMAHA CRW2100S 1.0G> Removable CD-ROM SCSI-2 device
>
> Nothing more needs to be said.
>
> I have bad experience with both Adaptec SCSI adaptors (1542CF, 2842VL
> and 2940UW Pro) and with YAMAHA CD-writers (CD-R 200T, CRW 4416S).

I have used the 2940UW with a CDR100 (!), a CDR400, a CD4260,
a CD6416 and a CRW2100 without any problems for years. Somtimes
these drives were attached to a 29160. This also worked perfectly
all the times.

> I've never had issues with AMD-based Tekram DC-390.
>
> I've had minor issues with "wide drive on narrow SYM53C875
> configuration" (see NetBSD PR kern/6849 for the full round-up -- and
> some FreeBSD versions, same problem) that seem to be solved in recent
> -STABLE versions.
>
> I do look after two Linux machines with a solid 2940UW setup (the
> adaptors are from 1998, one is driving a Fujitsu U320 10,025/min drive)
> though, so not all are bad.
>
> My Adaptec 2940UW Pro would lock up every other week. (I wonder if it
> would lock with Windows and who'd take the blame, but I'm digressing.)
>
> My Yamaha 200T would go faulty early, it can no longer write disks, but
> is fine reading.
>
> The Yamaha 4260S and 4416S had an awful firmware, Yamaha has never been
> able to deliver a robust firmware, there's always something that could
> lock the driver in a state that might block the whole bus. Don't mount
> these into "servers". I wonder if the 2100S fares much better.

Never had this problem with my 4260S or the 2100S. Can't talk about
the 4416S...

But: Starting with the CRW2200S, Yamaha started to ship IDE drives
with some funky external SCSI-IDE converter attached to them. This
is the biggest bunch of sh*t I have ever seen. They do not lock up
the bus here but as soon as you do other things on the bus while
burning a CD it is quite likely that you get a write error. This
applies to the CRW-F1 as well.

We have replaced the CRW-F1 with a <PLEXTOR CD-R PX-W4012S 1.03>
and everything is fine again. Apart from that, I would use Yamaha
writers again if they had a real SCSI interface.

	-Andre