Date:      Wed, 7 Aug 1996 23:31:42 -0400
From:      Chuck Bacon <crtb@capecod.net>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   The old disklabel question

Have I forgotten how to RTFM, or am I back in the old days?
I just installed a new SCSI disk, replacing a much smaller one.
The smaller disk had been useful, but I don't have another SCSI crimp
connector (internal disks, both).  The SCSI controller is the AIC on
a SB16.  I have a 1542CF but not enough slot space for it.

Anyhow, with DOS I created a Primary DOS Partition and an Extended
Partition which I somehow managed to turn into type 165 (FreeBSD).
Problem is, "disklabel sd0" complains:
disklabel: ioctl DIOCGDINFO: Invalid argument
"disklabel wd0" (or wd1) work fine.  So, I find I can do "disklabel sd0s4"
and get this:
# /dev/rsd0s4:
type: unknown
disk:
label:
flags:
bytes/sector: 512
sectors/track: 63
tracks/cylinder: 255
sectors/cylinder: 16065
cylinders: 4135
sectors/unit: 2503872
rpm: 0
interleave: 0
trackskew: 0
cylinderskew: 0
headswitch: 0		# milliseconds
track-to-track seek: 0	# milliseconds
drivedata: 0

3 partitions:
#        size   offset    fstype   [fsize bsize bps/cpg]
  c:  2503872        0    unused        0     0       	# (Cyl.    0 - 155*)
Warning, revolutions/minute 0
boot block size 0
super block size 0

Which is close.  Translated geometry: 255 x 63, but translated cyls = 155,
not 4135.  This disk has 1.2GB, not 35GB!

The FreeBSD Handbook is beautiful, but unfortunately, I found I have an
early edition (valuable some day :-) with the important disk bits omitted!
If I "disklabel -e sd0s4" I get a complaint after exit:
DIOCWDINFO: Operation not supported by device.
Even though I have the DOS partition on that disk mount_msdos'ed.
The FreeBSD Handbook is beautiful, but unfortunately, I have an early
edition (valuable some day :-) with the important disk bits omitted!

So here are some facts:
0. AIC controller on SB16 board
1. Both the old and new SCSI disks had 2 partitions (in the DOS sense)
2. The old disk had an "Extended DOS Partition" and the new one a "Primary.."
   (changed so that mount_msdos would work)
3. DOS/Windows likes the new disk just fine.
4. FDISK on DOS doesn't recognize this third drive.  Only drives 1 and 2,
   which are IDE.
5. AFDISK.EXE on DOS (from Creative Labs?) created the two partitions.
6. I draw a blank with disklabel sd0s1, 2 or 3.  Only sd0s4 appears to have
   an admittedly dummied-up disklabel.
7. Attempts to disklabel -e result in "DIOCWDINFO: Operation not supported
   by device" (after I fix the rpm and interleave).

I don't subscribe to freebsd-questions, but I read most of the other
mailing lists.  I'd appreciate a comment, even RTFM, but which FM?

    Chuck Bacon - crtb@capecod.net
	"Good is better than evil 'cause it's nicer".  --Li'l Abner