Date:      Sat, 21 Aug 1999 17:28:16 -0700
From:      Doug <Doug@gorean.org>
To:        Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
Cc:        "John S. Dyson" <dyson@iquest.net>, Alfred Perlstein <bright@rush.net>, Eivind Eklund <eivind@FreeBSD.ORG>, Peter Wemm <peter@FreeBSD.ORG>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: NFS HEADS UP (was Re: cvs commit: src/sys/nfs nfsm_subs.h  xdr_subs.h)

Matthew Dillon wrote:

>     Does anyone know why our NFS clients are sending a separate RPC for each
>     8K buffer?  If the dirty space is contiguous across a number of buffers
>     we should be able to send a *SINGLE* commit rpc to the server.  That would
>     greatly reduce system overhead on both the client and server when writing
>     a large file over NFS.  This would seem to be an almost free optimization
>     that would mesh extremely well with the nfsrv_commit optimizations I'm
>     making right now.
>
>     At the moment I can saturate a 100BaseTX with NFS writes and get
>     10 MBytes/sec to the platter on the server, but the cpu required on both
>     the client and server to do that is well over 60% of a Pentium III-450.

	I'd like to put in a vote to get these NFS write optimizations in the pipe
ASAP. The last hurdle (seemingly) on my big project at work that I've been
bugging so many of you about is the fact that FreeBSD NFS client writing to
Sun NFS server is just DOG slow. I did some pretty extensive testing on
this and couldn't come up with any client option twidding that made any
difference, except increasing wsize to 16k, which got me about 10%, but it
was still very slow. This is on a -current system from around the tenth of
August.

	Matt, thanks for all your hard work on this, and believe me when I say it
couldn't come at a better time.

Doug