Date:      Sun, 5 Aug 2007 10:45:05 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Tim Judd <tjudd2k@yahoo.com>
To:        Damian Vicino <dvicino@dc.uba.ar>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: Using Smart-Fail HD

I'm on the digest list.  I have copied/pasted the OP

---------------------QUOTE:
Message: 17
Date: Sat, 04 Aug 2007 18:00:07 -0300
From: Damian Vicino <dvicino@dc.uba.ar>
Subject: Using Smart-Fail HD
To: FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>

Hello.
Im Having FBSD running in a P3 with 4.3GB HD, and got 2 extra 80GBs HD
that fails the SMART check.
I did a full HD scan with tools provided by the HD's developers and
 over
90% of the HDs are safe.
I want to use those HD for home of the lowrank users, and keep the
critical data in the 4GB HD.
Do u know any pretty safe FS for this kind of unstable hardware, i was
thinking in something with software RAID maybe.
Thanks for any suggestion, im pretty new on FBSD world (and
english-speak world too).
BTW, if the solution can be applied to DFBSD, it will be very nice,
becouse i got another machine P1 runnning it, and all HDs i can get for

it use to have a lot of failures already.
See ya
Sdäv
--------------------/QUOTE

Damian, You might find Steve Gibson's SpinRite a really useful
purchase.  It recovers most drives it works on, and a single purchase
can be use on any of your personal drives.  It is it's own bootable
floppy or CD, and works very well.

http://www.grc.com/sr/spinrite.htm

I recommend using that now, and then tread lightly until you feel
confident about the drives again.

If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
"I can" is a way of life.
More and Bigger is not always Better.
The road to success is always uphill.

Luggage? GPS? Comic books?