Date:      Tue, 11 Apr 2000 20:07:53 EDT
From:      "John Daniels" <jmd526@hotmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   mounting an msdos partition

Hi:

I just wanted to check on the stability and use of mount and mount_msdos.  I
searched the archives and it seems that AT ONE TIME it was recommended that
msdos partitions only be used as read only (apparantly when writing, the FAT
was not updated, causing curruption).  Is it OK to both read and write to a
mounted msdos partition?  Are there any known issues/workarounds?  Do I need
to use translation s/w to handle the CRLF issues?

I read that mount -t msdos will "figure out the issues" is this true?

I am running 4.0-RELEASE and I basically just want to share Office type
files.  It would be great if StarOffice on FreeBSD could read and write the
same files that MSOffice on Win98-2 could.  I also have FrontPage on Win98
and it would be great if I could copy the files to my Apache directory, or
if Apache would read the file from the msdos partition.

At some point in the future I'd like to get VMware, until I do, I'd like to
have as much sharing as possible, with as little user intervention as
possible.

John