Date:      Tue, 6 Nov 2007 13:10:11 -0700
From:      Ray <ray@stilltech.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   slow data transfer from smba share, where to start

Hello,
I am having a problem with slow data transfer. Source is a samba share mounted
as a local drive. destination is the local hard-drive. Can anybody give me
some hints on where to start looking?
Thanks,
Ray

any info that seems relevant to me is included, but I can provide any other
data that is needed (domain info is sanitized)

$ uname -a
FreeBSD server.example.com 6.2-RELEASE FreeBSD 6.2-RELEASE #0: Wed May  2
03:41:55 UTC 2007     root@:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  amd64

# less fstab
# Device                Mountpoint      FStype  Options         Dump    Pass#
<snip>
//owner@technical/technical     /mnt/technical  smbfs   rw,-N   0       0

# time mv /mnt/technical/test /www/test/pub
0.008u 0.402s 7:42.28 0.0%      17+262k 7+27io 4121pf+0w

test is a directory containing approximately 15 MB of data,

windows machine is running windows XP pro. No known hardware or software
problems on either machine. Hardware is decent but not super high end.
the two machines are connected through a mid range consumer router  and about
100 - 150 feet of cat5 cable.