Date:      Thu, 23 May 1996 14:56:12 +0930 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        sfinn@thecore.com (Shaun Finn)
Cc:        gpalmer@FreeBSD.ORG, gfoster@gfoster.com, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: runaway processes

Shaun Finn stands accused of saying:

> >> When a user logs off without exiting pine the processes begin using
> >> lots of CPU and cannot be killed with -INT.  Has a fix or workaround
> >> been developed for this?  (Yeah, I know, don't run pine :-)!
> >
> >This is a bug in pine. Try ``kill -9 <PID>''. That should do it nicely
> >:-) There is an update to pine (if I remember), but the new version
> >may have other problems too...
>
> We have used pine 3.91 thru 3.93 and the problem persists ;-)
>
> Even rtin 1.3 950824BETA PL0 displays this behavior.

It's not like it's not _documented_ or anything.  From the read(2) manpage:

RETURN VALUES
     If successful, the number of bytes actually read is returned. Upon read-
     ing end-of-file, zero is returned.  Otherwise, a -1 is returned and the
     global variable errno is set to indicate the error.

The problem is that the losers who wrote the stuff never bothered to
test for this; they expect an error condition on stdin instead.

The correct fix is for you to hunt down all the places in the offending
programs where read() is called on stdin and patch them to check for '0'
return, and then pester the maintainers and forward patches to the ports
people.

Otherwise this will never be fixed.