Date:      Fri, 21 May 2010 23:02:20 +0200
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        Gary Kline <kline@thought.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Playing Ogg Vorbis files with Audacious

On Fri, 21 May 2010 13:46:16 -0700, Gary Kline <kline@thought.org> wrote:
> 	i can no longer get my freebsd to play my cd's.
> 	audio-cd.  k3b does regonize it in my second optical.  i am
> 	trying to transfer it from cd to ~/Music.  [[and no, i didn't
> 	steal this disc.  i own tape and cd and just want to transfer
> 	it in Ogg-Vorbis fmt and listen to it here where i live for
> 	17hrs/day.

No need to justify.

Here's an inspiration for what you could put into a script - a
simple converter for audio CD to OGG/Vorbis:

	dd bs=2352 if=/dev/acd0t01 | oggenc -q 6 -r -o track01.ogg

Of course, if you want to add information (like album, interpret
etc.), you can use those additional options, explained in the
manual ("man oggenc").

You can use "cdcontrol info" to find out how many tracks to
process, and then iterate automatically to put all tracks into
one directory, in ogg format. No big deal.

Of course, it's helpful when you maintain a good directory and
file naming convention for your files, rather than "track01.ogg"
and so on. It makes finding a specific peace of music more easy
if file names correspond to what you hear when you play it. :-)

> 	i've tried to play it with kmplayer, with amaroK.  zip.  i've
> 	tried sound-juice and get the fatal error that there are no
> 	CD-ROM drives.  a few releases ago i used sound-juicer to
> 	transfer [and play] tunes.  no mo'.

Why not first try the obvious solution?

	# cdcontrol -f /dev/acd0 play

You can define CDROM (or CDPLAYER?) environmental variable to
omit the -f <device> parameter.

> 	ps:  if there is a new utility to play audio cd's running
> 	7.3, i haven't heard!

The system brings cdcontrol. For X, why not use XMMS, or if you
want a simple solution that just works, try xcd.

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany