Date:      Thu, 9 Jul 2009 19:20:04 +0200
From:      Roland Smith <rsmith@xs4all.nl>
To:        Adam Vande More <amvandemore@gmail.com>
Cc:        kxorrao <luizbcampos@gmail.com>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Wine on FBSD-7.0 amd64. Does it run?

--DIOMP1UsTsWJauNi

On Thu, Jul 09, 2009 at 01:10:58AM -0500, Adam Vande More wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 8, 2009 at 9:32 AM, kxorrao <luizbcampos@gmail.com> wrote:
>=20
> >    What port of wine should I download in order to play 32bit .exe
> > files on FreeBSD-7.0 amd64? Linux wine or Wine?
> >

> It's not a terribly big port.  Compile it and check.  Generally if there =
are
> problems with port on a specific platform, it will not build.  Use regular
> wine/avoid emulators within emulators if at all possible.

The wine port only works on i386:

# grep ARCHS /usr/ports/emulators/wine/Makefile
ONLY_FOR_ARCHS=3D	i386

If I understood correctly, the problem is that wine is a 32-bit
program. See http://wiki.winehq.org/WineOn64bit

It would need 32-bit versions of all the libraries that it uses. The
FreeBSD ports system doesn't currently isn't equipped to handle
this. Not that this would be impossible, but nobody has bothered.=20

The concensus seems (and rightly so IMHO) to be that development effort
is better spent cleaning up 32-bit programs so they can run on amd64
natively than providing a 32-bit infrastructure on amd64 when you can
easily run 32-bit programs on FreeBSD i386 if necessary.

It is possible to use a 32-bit jail on amd64. If you install the ports
tree in that jail you could perhaps build wine? I haven't tried this,
though.

Roland
--=20

--DIOMP1UsTsWJauNi