Date:      Sat, 9 Apr 2011 09:17:04 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Warren Block <wblock@wonkity.com>
To:        Sascha Vieweg <saschaview@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD VMWare Mac screen resulution and keyboard map

On Fri, 8 Apr 2011, Sascha Vieweg wrote:

> As a curious beginner I am running FreeBSD on VMWare Fusion 3.1.2 on a
> MacBook Pro 13'' i5, and I want to do two things on the normal (startup)
> console:
>
> (1) use my apple keyboard, especially, scroll through console output

man syscons | less -p'Back Scrolling'

> (2) have a screen resolution of at least 800x600.

vidcontrol(1) can set different modes, potentially including
VESA_800x600.  What's available depends on the video card BIOS and
you'll probably have to build a kernel with SC_PIXEL_MODE.

> Both things seem to be no particular problem in X11, however, I cannot find
> advices for the normal console.

Unless you're trying to emulate a machine without X11 for a particular
purpose, xterms are more versatile than consoles.  It's probably
possible to get a console-like stack of fullscreen xterms with one of
the mouseless window managers.