Date:      Wed, 30 Oct 2002 13:57:28 -0800
From:      richard childers <fscked@pacbell.net>
To:        "Mark A-J. Raught (from the laptop)" <mraught@acm.org>
Cc:        FreeBSD Mobile <freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Belkin wireless support

On the good side, Belkins come with a lifetime warranty.

On the bad side, they need it, 'cuz I've encountered problems (possible
related to abrupt removals by a small child :-).

And Belkins are not supported under FreeBSD. I'd cough up the extra $35 and
order an Avaya Gold; check pricewatch.com. Or get an Avaya Silver.

Caveat: Belkin's PCI<->PCMCIA converters *do* have a chipset that is
recognized by FreeBSD, and it mistakenly thinks it's found a card, but it
hasn't and it doesn't work.

-- richard

"Mark A-J. Raught (from the laptop)" wrote:

> Hello all,
>     I currently use two Linksys cards (wmp11 and wpc11 I think) to route
> wireless from my laptop to my wired network.  The routing system uses
> FreeBSD 4.6.2 and the Laptop has 4.7.
>     I want to add another station and saw an add from OfficeMax this
> Sunday for a Belkin pcmcia adapter for 39.99 (AR) with a free pci
> adapter. I don't know which models, but I assume PCMCIA is F5D6020 and
> the pci adapter is the F5D6000. I will stop at OfficeMax tomorrow
> sometime to get the actual model numbers, but in the mean time does
> anyone know the compatibility of these cards or of Belkin cards in
> general with FreeBSD? Any gotchas with my existing setup? If it's bad
> news then how about a recommendation for a relatively cheap PC-Card/PCI
> adapter setup?
>
> thanks,
> -mark

Richard A Childers/KG6HAC -- Senor UNIX System & Network Administrator
"Dont forget nothing." Maj Rogers, standing orders, 1st Ranger Bn, 1759