Date:      Wed, 17 Feb 1999 01:15:04 -0500 (EST)
From:      John Smith <craze@eta.ee.fit.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   IBM IntelliStation

        Hello All;

        I was trying to install 3.1 on a IBM intellistation machine;(one
of those with 450mhz processor, and 512 ram, ide HD, etc)  and I could not
get the network card to work.

        The motherboard has a built-in network card in it, and it can be
disabled by the bios. At first I thought it was a 10/100 switching
problem, since both the card and the hub was set to autodetect media.
However, I figured out that no matter what network card I use, the kernel
detects it, and ifconfig -a shows the device in place, however whenever
you ifconfig [ep0|fpx0] my.ip.number the machine crashes. I tried
eepro100, and 3c509; (with more than few models of 3c509) and it all did
the same. I believe there is some sort of incompatibility issue with the
built in card, but even if it disabled, I get the same response with other
cards.

	Did anyone installed FreeBSD on a similar machine before? Please
help, because I do not want to put back windoze on it.

	-Can