Date:      Tue, 10 Oct 2000 19:12:11 -0700
From:      "Crist J . Clark" <cjclark@reflexnet.net>
To:        Phil Mummert <the1600boy@hotmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: recurring natd error message

On Mon, Oct 09, 2000 at 04:17:23PM -0400, Phil Mummert wrote:
> I looked at some tcpdumps, but in all cases none of the packets were lost.
> The only thing fishy was an occasional arp who-has tell 0.0.0.0
> I am having other problems that may be related. On bootup, I get many error
> messages about another MAC address using my IP (0.0.0.0). This MAC is not
> one of my interfaces. I assume my dhcp lease is perhaps conflicting, but my
> attempts to renew it don't seem to change anything.
> Can you explain how to renew a dhcp lease, what the deal with 0.0.0.0 is,
> and if this even relates to my initial problem.

When a DHCP client starts up, it, obviously, has no IP address yet. It
broadcasts a request to 255.255.255.255:67 from 0.0.0.0:68. The server
then responds using its actual IP as the source and 255.255.255.255:68
as the destination. The client catches the broadcast and uses the
information to configure its IP. That is a much simplified
explanation to illustrate why your computer thinks it is 0.0.0.0 when
it starts. Once started, I believe all further DHCP should take place
with your machine using whatever IP address it is currently
leasing. The machine should not revert to 0.0.0.0.

It sounds like you have another device on your network that believes
it is 0.0.0.0. Unless this is a transient issue where another machine
is also starting up DHCP, it should not be happening.

Anyway, I cannot think of a reason why a machine should be doing ARP
queries while it has 0.0.0.0 as an address. A machine doing its DHCP
bootstrap is always sending or receiving broadcasts, no need to ARP,
right?

Anyway, back to your original question, did you try all interfaces
that natd is sending stuff too?