Date:      Fri, 5 Feb 2010 15:00:51 +0100 (CET)
From:      Oliver Fromme <olli@lurza.secnetix.de>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG, randi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 8.0-RELEASE -> -STABLE and size of /

Randi Harper wrote:
 > Marian Hettwer wrote:
 > > +1 vote for making / bigger.
 > > At least a size where a make installkernel runs through.
 >
 > This is going to happen. It's been on my to-do list for a while, as I
 > find it increasingly annoying. The default sizes of all mount points
 > need to be tweaked a bit. Be patient, there will be some new changes
 > going into sysinstall very soon.

Revisiting sysinstall's default partition sizes is certainly
a good idea.

However, I think it makes a lot of sense to *not* install
symbol files in /boot/kernel by default.  I can't think of
a good reason why they need to be there by default, and
they're what causes the space problems for the root FS in
the first place.

Please change the default.

Best regards
   Oliver

"If you think C++ is not overly complicated, just what is a protected
abstract virtual base pure virtual private destructor, and when was the
last time you needed one?"
        -- Tom Cargil, C++ Journal