Date:      Tue, 06 Feb 2001 09:43:28 -0600
From:      Drew Sanford <lauasanf@bellsouth.net>
To:        Greg MATTHEWS <G.Matthews@cs.ucl.ac.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: dns lookup with ppp -nat

Its really not that bad. If your internal boxes can't run lookups (they
should be able to) then you can simply run a forwarding server, your
machine won't actually do any lookups, it will forward the lookups, but
it will look like its doing the lookups to your internal machines.

Greg MATTHEWS wrote:

> how can i get my -nat'ed machines to use my isp dns? do i have to run a dns
> server on the nat box? seems excessive as i only have 2 machines at home
> (possibly 3 later).
>
> current setup: freebsd on i386 running ppp -nat and netbsd on sparc classic.
>
> the classic can access outside using ip numbers but wont perform dns lookups.
>
> cheers
>
> GREG

Cotharyus
lauasanf@bellsouth.net