Date:      Sat, 20 Feb 1999 00:50:11 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        des@flood.ping.uio.no (Dag-Erling Smorgrav)
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: [Alfred Perlstein <bright@cygnus.rush.net>] Re: vm_page_zero_fill

> Last night i was kinda bored so i started looking for things to
> optimize in freebsd, i noticed that the function src/sys/libkern/bcmp.c
> looked not optimal.
>
> After playing with "gcc -O -S bcmp.c" on several platforms, i386,
> sparc32, alpha.  It seems to me that the function ought to be
> replaced with this:

[ ... C code elided ... ]

I think that we would do well to provide C code, wherever possible,
for all assmebly language code, no matter how suboptimal this ends
up being.

The reason for this is portability to new platforms becomes more
immediate, though less optimal.  The assembly code can later be
"back filled", as necessary, as an optimization.

The ugliest place for this type of thinking is locore.s and the bios
crap, but it would speed inclusion of new platforms, and is probably
worth the effort.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---