Date:      Tue, 30 Sep 2003 16:16:46 -0500
From:      "Kevin D. Kinsey, DaleCo, S.P." <kdk@daleco.biz>
To:        Bernard Roux <bernard@microzone.co.za>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Mail Server

Bernard Roux wrote:

>Please can you help me. I would like to setup a mail server using Freebsd. I
>have installed the software, but how do I configure Freebsd to become a mail
>server.
>
>I am desperate.
>

>Kind regards
>
>Bernard Roux

In addition to the fine replies you have already
received, let me add to the noise:  FreeBSD comes
with Sendmail, all time King ("James" ;-) of the
MTA's, already installed.  All you need is the line

sendmail_enable="YES"

In /etc/rc.conf.

So you have a working SMTP server on
hand, it just needs some configuration.

If you do *not* know how to set up DNS,
you should read up on that first.

Walk through /etc/mail and look at a few files:

local-host-names    # add your hostname to this file
                            #if it doesn't exist, create it
relay-domains       #you may need to add LAN IP's
                            # or other domains to allow outbound
                            # relaying of mail
aliases                  # username mapping
virtusertable          # domain mapping

Check the file /var/log/maillog as well, as most
any errors dealing with the mailserver will show
up there.

If you want to use the machine as a POP or
IMAP server, check the programs in /etc/ports/mail.
There is an example line to enable a POP server
in /etc/inetd.conf, but one is not installed by
default.

I don't necessarily wish to give you the
impression that running a mail server is a
piece of cake, but it's not that difficult to
get started with it.  What is tough is keeping
it secure, and making sure the configuration
makes it a workhorse and not a headache.

HTH,

Kevin Kinsey
DaleCo, S.P.