Date:      Sun, 2 Jul 2000 20:42:53 -0400 (EDT)
From:      David Gilbert <dgilbert@velocet.ca>
To:        Kent Stewart <kstewart@3-cities.com>
Cc:        David Gilbert <dgilbert@velocet.ca>, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Dump takes ages on SCSI.  (several times faster on IDE)

>> I then noticed that the IDE would crashdump somewhere around 10
>> times faster than the SCSI disk.
>>
>> Why?  Can the SCSI speed be improved?

Kent> It depends on what 2940 and what IDE drive you are talking
Kent> about. I have a Maxtor UDMA66 that is 20MB/s faster in some

I don't think this explains it at all.  It would appear that the SCSI
driver is running in some "extra safe" mode, or something.  It has
512M to write sequentually to a partition... and the counting on the
screen, we're looking at 2 to 3 seconds-per-megabyte (on a drive that
delivers write performance of about 10M/s in normal operation).

Maybe what I should have said that the ratio of regular operation to
dump performance of the ide driver is about 1:1 while it's 10:1 for
the SCSI driver... why is this?

Dave.