Date:      Sat, 31 May 1997 11:48:10 -0400
From:      dlr <dlr@asylum.org>
To:        Annelise Anderson <andrsn@andrsn.stanford.edu>
Cc:        dlr <dlr@asylum.org>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Print question

On Sun, May 25, 1997 at 10:16:48AM -0700, Annelise Anderson wrote:

> On Sun, 25 May 1997, dlr wrote:
>
> > I'm running freebsd 2.1 on a 486-66 and using a Star LS-5 with HP laserjet
> > 2P emulation. I've read the freebsd handbook on printing and have tried
> > multiple filters. Here is the problem:
> >
> > I have gotten ghostscript to work, and the first 2 or so pages come out
> > ok, then i will get one line overwritten which is garbage, then more
> > normal printing, then another line of overwritten garbage. The filters
> > seems to work ok, and i'm beginning to wonder if this is a problem with
> > the printer itself...i.e. the character set or something.
> >
> > I've had the same thing happen printing out ascii stuff also (long
> > email files).
> >
> > If anyone has a clue about this i'd be interested. I've been thru about 2
> > reams of paper trying to figure this out and am just about ready to bail
> > and buy a postscript printer.
> >
> > I posted to a ghostscript email list and didn't get one response, so i
> > thought i'd try here, even though i know this probably isn't a freebsd
> > problem.

Just wanted to follow up on this problem. I yanked my kids HP deskjet 855
Cse printer and brought it up to the library and it fired right up, and
prints with almost all of the twenty or so filters i've created trying to
make the Star printer work ;).

There fore i've concluded it must be a Star problem. Now i have the new
deskjet printer and the kids have the Star LS-5 :).

It still bugs me though not to be able to figure out what was the
problem. I presume it must be a character set setting on the Star.

cheers, and thanks to all of you who work on freebsd!

dave