Date:      Wed, 22 Mar 2000 22:53:22 -0500
From:      Randall Hopper <aa8vb@ipass.net>
To:        Ken Marx <kmarx@bigshed.com>
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Lost interrupts in snd0 ?

Ken Marx:
 |I'm seeing intermitent long (> 10 sec) pauses in
 |the snd (voxware) driver, that look to be possibly due
 |to lost interrupts.
 |
 |This is on 3.2 and 3.4 hosts, AMD K6-III and K7, respectively.
 |Both use a Creative AWE64 isa soundcard.
 |Just to make matters more confusing, a friend in the UK is also
 |running 3.2 on an AMDK6-III, same soundcard, and can't reproduce
 |this problem.
 |
 |Can anyone please help? I'm pretty week on how the sound stuff
 |is supposed to work, and am kind of running low on ideas?

So it's not just me!  I too was running well with my Creative SB32 (mostly
the same as your card) with 3.2R and my AMD K6-III.  Upgrading to 3.4R, I
also seem to see more hangs on close.

2) I also see much longer skips with mtv (the same mtv executable and same
MPEG streams) than I did with 3.4R.  It behaves like some bad changes were
made to the SNDCTL_DSP_GETOSPACE or related buffer-query calls.

3) Finally, every so often I get 3-10 second bursts of "loud" static (pops,
   and noise sputters) out of my soundcard when no app is doing sound.
   This never happened/happens on 3.2R so something is very likely amiss
   in the sound code.

FWIW, I have both 3.2R and 3.4R both installed on seperate partitions so
it's easy for me to multiboot back and forth to compare.

Randall