Date:      Tue, 20 May 2014 11:59:27 +0700
From:      Olivier Nicole <olivier.nicole@cs.ait.ac.th>
To:        Jim Pazarena <fquest@paz.bz>
Cc:        "freebsd-questions@freebsd.org" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: transparent bridge ~ firewall

Jim,

> Is it possible to configure fbsd so that it passes traffic thru two
> nics "transparently", (with a third nic installed as the management IP)?
>
> So that firewall rules can be applied between those two transparent
> nics? Don't want NAT, don't want routing. Just firewall "allow", "drop",
> or re-direct.
>
> I purchased a device which uses debian to do this. I would like to
> see if I can duplicate the functions on FreeBSD, my OS of choice.

I used to do that few years ago, using ip-firewall at that time
instead of ipfw, I can't remember the reason why, I think it was the
unavailability of layer 2 in IPFW at that time.

I have switched to zeroshell since because I needed captive portal too
and neither monowall nor pf sense did offer captive portal on bridged
intefaces when I did the change.

I am pretty sure that monowall and pfsense do offer bridged interfaces.

Best regards,

Olivier