Date:      Sat, 23 Nov 2002 23:28:30 -0800
From:      Juli Mallett <jmallett@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Justin Wojdacki <jwojdacki@earthlink.net>
Cc:        freebsd-mips@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Stumpedish wrt GCC generating (superfluous?) definitions

* De: Justin Wojdacki <jwojdacki@earthlink.net> [ Data: 2002-11-23 ]
	[ Subjecte: Re: Stumpedish wrt GCC generating (superfluous?) definitions ]
> Juli Mallett wrote:
> > Hey,
> >
> > Is there anyone on here who's fairly familiar with GCC on MIPS, and who
> > has looked at (or could) the toolchain stuff I've done so far to see if
> > I've done something wrong?  I've been using a FSF/Cygnus GCC/BU toolchain
> > on my laptop to cross-build little toy kernels to test bits of code in
> > the GDB simulator, and I finally got a GDB sim set up on my faster build
> > box, and gave a little toy kernel a swing with the toolchain stuff from
> > the FreeBSD/MIPS p4 branch, and things seem to have been fine, except
> > when compiling a `printf' unit in C, the assembly that came out the other
> > end was full of '.dword $L<NUM>' stuff, which generated a heap of undefined
> > references, though the code in question linked fine without those directives.
>
> Where's the toolchain at? I'll try to take a look if I have a moment.
> I'm in the middle of a heavy travel period though, so it might be a week.

It's made up of the FreeBSD tree, and my diffs on top of that,
	http://people.freebsd.org/~jmallett/mips-branch.diff.gz

No worries.  TBH toolchain in tree isn't *that* important, if there are
problems with it.  I was hoping to get it in one pass, and got fairly
well along, at least in BU, but GCC seems to have issues.  IT's not an
important enough thing at this stage to block anything on it working,
as FSF toolchains for mips64-whatever-elf works fine.

> Likewise for the bootloader issues. I'm part way through the ARC spec,
> but have been too busy elsewhere. :(

That's OK.  I've been looking at the NetBSD code, the ARC spec, and the
FreeBSD ARC loader (incomplete) for Alpha...  Think I'm getting near to
getting the gist of it.  Been busy lately with the holiday season coming
up, and employment-related stuff, so I've been slipping...  Again.  But
I did get some of my initial abstractions for early boot code into Perforce
(though haven't made a diff since then).

Thanks!
juli
--
Juli Mallett <jmallett@FreeBSD.org>