Date:      Wed, 14 Jan 1998 19:45:42 +1000
From:      Steven Harris <steve@playgal.com>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Telnet and SYN problem

Hi,

We've just connected up via ISDN and it's marvellous.  Unfortunatly, we
cannot talk to other freebsd server properly.  I can telnet to any other
(non-freebsd) server without a problem.  HTTP works, but telnet, ftp and
other TCP/IP related services seem to hang and time out.  For example, if I
telnet to "www.freebsd.org" I get:

bash# telnet www.freebsd.org
Trying 204.216.27.18...
Connected to hub.freebsd.org.
Escape character is '^]'.
Connection closed by foreign host.

This is the same for all FreeBSD sites and FTP too.  I took a look at the
netstat table on the server that I am telnetting to and get:

tcp        0      0  playgal.telnet         imageisdn.ozemai.1996  SYN_RCVD

It sits there for about 1 minute and disconnects.  Any hints or ideas would
be **GREATLY** appreciated :)

Steve
Admin.