Date:      Sun, 03 Jul 2005 00:10:44 -0000
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@freebsd.org>
To:        Chris <racerx@makeworld.com>, Nikolas Britton <freebsd@nbritton.org>
Cc:        freebsd-advocacy@freebsd.org, freebsd-www@freebsd.org, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, freebsd-arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD's Visual Identity: Outdated?

On 2004-12-23 23:02, Chris <racerx@makeworld.com> wrote:
>Nikolas Britton wrote:
>> 2. I cringe when I see Times New Roman, again redo the whole site
>> with a modern web font: Arial, Helvetica, Verdana, Etc. (ever here of
>> Cascading Style Sheets?)
>
> CSS? Isnt that a bit outdated? Isnt that more a Windows thing?

Actually, no.  Nikolas is right here.  The sans serif fonts look much
better and are more readable on the monitor.  Times looks better on
paper.

> >3. The color scheme is not "complementary" anyone who has been to art
> >school or taken design classes will know what I talking about, read up
> >about basic color theory here:
> >http://www.color-wheel-pro.com/color-theory-basics.html (again, ever
> >here of Cascading Style Sheets??)
>
> Guess what mate - most of us are NOT into art. Get real. Deal with the
> OS, not the look and feel of the site. Do I really care if a design
> has passion blue opposed to blue?

The fact that we don't know a lot about art and design is not a good
excuse for reacting badly to anyone that says so.

Nikolas, there is an effort to redesign the web site, using CSS as much
as possible for style & layout, making sure that the entire site has a
consistent look and feel.  Your comments show that you know a bit about
design.  If you believe you can help with such an effort, please contact
us at <freebsd-www@freebsd.org> and assist the team who works on the web
site.

> Do you really thing techies are THAT into pastels? If you want to re
> design something (Actually - is sounds like you have been watching way
> too much TLC) then get a gig on Monster House.
>
> >4. I like the Beastie logo on the boot loader screen but ASCII art is
> >unprofessional... It would be better if you made the color ASCII beastie
> >the default.
>
> Who cares?!?! It's resource friendly tho...

``Who cares?'' is exactly the sort of bad PR that Nikolas is right
about.  Please avoid inflammatory material, if possible :-/

Nikolas, there is a good reason why the ASCII art logo is not using
colors by default.  Many people use FreeBSD with a serial console, and
sending colors over a serial port connection is a bit silly: annoying an
a waste of precious serial connection bandwidth.  This is why the loader
logo doesn't use fancy colors by default.

- Giorgos