Date:      Wed, 13 Sep 2000 12:50:12 -0500
From:      "Ludington, Jacob" <Jacob.Ludington@ed.state.ia.us>
To:        'Michael Lucas' <mwlucas@blackhelicopters.org>
Cc:        "'freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG'" <freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG>, advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: BSD Magazine

>BTW, Big Scary Daemons isn't a newsletter, it's just a column.  It's
>part of the BSD DevCenter.  (Just a column... never mind that when I
>was asked to write a regular column for the company I consider the
>Dean of Technical Publishers I yelped loudly enough that my wife
>thought I had stepped on a nail again.  :)

>> O'Reilly doesn't make it obvious if its even possible to subscribe to
>> Big Scary Daemons.(Where's the subscription form?)

>It's not, you have to go there.  But it could certainly be better
>advertised.  (Then again, it's new, give Chris some time.  :) The same
>could be said for any BSD resources.

This would be where companies like O'Reilly are doing their customers and
columnists a huge disservice.  While I am sure it is thrilling to write for
O'Reilly's website, it would be even better for you to know that people are
reading what you write.  It's well known in the IT industry that O'Reilly
publishes some of the best books out there, think of the added value they
could be providing by delivering your column to readers inboxes on a regular
basis.  I don't know about you, but personally I don't have time to check
for new content at every website I visit. However, I do check my email
several times a day and I read almost every issue of every newletter I
subscribe to.  If your column was sent to my inbox, assuming there was a
place for me to sign up for it, I would read it every time it came out. As
it stands now, I don't know for certain when it comes out.  Feel free to
pass this info on to Chris at O'Reilly, I would love to visit with him about
the possibilities this could create.(If for no other reason than I could get
expert opinions like yours delivered straight to my machine on a regular
basis.)

Jake Ludington
jake@ediblehype.com