Date:      Fri, 19 Mar 2010 09:19:13 -0500
From:      Richard DeLaurell <richard.delaurell@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 8.0 Booting Problem on ZV5320US Laptop

>On Fri, Mar 19, 2010 at 8:20 AM, Anoop Kumar Narayanan <anoop.kn@gmail.com>wrote:
>I have recently installed FreeBSD8.0 on my 5 year old HP laptop with
>absolute 0 battery backup (behaviour same when batter removed).
>Installation works fine but when I try to boot into FreeBSD I get to
>the BTX loader screen, after having made any selection and it pauses
>for about 15 secs and the computer suddenly powers down. I was able to
>boot into the system occasionally lets say about 1 in 5 boots. I am
>able to install and boot into Linux without any problem.

So then you are attempting to startup using a power adaptor (i.e. your
computer is plugged in to a wall socket)?

I had the reverse problem a while ago with Slackware shutting down in the
middle of installation onto a Toshiba laptop while FreeBSD has always been
no problem.

My guess is that these issues reflect power management settings, perhaps
even something in the bios.

Does this occur when you use the installation or boot-only disks?

Sorry this is not more help to you.

Richard