Date:      Wed, 18 Oct 1995 17:44:46 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        crosswjo@hp-pcd.cv.hp.com
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Kernel Development...

> I am most interested in learning how the FreeBSD kernel works on iX86
> machines.
>
> Is there any sort of documentation (besides the code) that lends a general
> (to specific) explanation of the FreeBSD kernel design?  Or just kernel
> design in general?
>
> I am looking for anything from a full text all the way down to FAQ.

Texts on kernel design in general:

	Title:		"Unix Internals, the New Frontiers"
	Author:		Uresh Vahalia
	Publisher:	Prentice Hall/Simon and Schuster
	ISBN:		0-13-101908-2

	Title:		"The Design and Implementation of the 4.3 BSD
			 UNIX Operating System"
	Author:		Samuel J. Leffler, Marshall Kirk McKusick,
			Michael J. Karels, and John S. Quarterman
	Publisher:	Addison-Wesley
	ISBN:		0-201-06196-1

The rest of my library is at home, but:

	Title:		"UNIX for modern architectures" (?)

	Title:		"The Magic Garden Explained"

	Title:		"The UNIX System V Operating System"

FTP sites:

	ftp.sage.usenix.org

			Various papers published in the "Proceedings
			of Usenix".

	ftp.cs.ucla.edu

			John Heidemann's Master's Thesis on stackable
			file system architecture (integrated in BSD
			4.4 as the native VFS interface).

			Various related documents, many under the title
			"Ficus".

	ftp.digibd.com

			Draft version of the Spec 1170 document from
			the ftp.uiuinix.ui.org (UNIX International)
			FTP server (now defunct).

	ftp.cs.washington.edu

			Many papers on threading an SPARC

	ftp.sun.com

			Many papers on aspects of Solaris/SunOS.

	cs.utah.edu

			University of Utah projects involving Mach
			and BSD.  Dynamic linking using C++ as a
			shared library implementation mechanism
			is highly recommended.

	etc. (OSF/Xerox/HP/DEC[gatekeeper.dec.com]/any university
	with graduate level CS, esp. MIT, etc.)

Standards documents:

	POSIX		1003.1, 1003.2, 1003.8
	ANSI		X3J11 (ANSI C STANDARD -- ISO VERSION OF THIS
			       DOCUMENT IS DRASTICALLY SUPERIOR!!!)
	SVID III	System V Interface definition

User/Programmer related documents:

	O'Reilly/Usenix BSD 4.4 manual set (5 books)
	UNIX Press's SVR4 books (full set is expensive!!!)
	Title:	"The UNIX Programming Environment"

Mail (autoresponder) standards documents:

	Dear EABI recipient:

	We have a new copy of the System V Release 4 ABI for PowerPC.
	This is the document the EABI supplies extensions to for
	embedded applications.

	If  you wish to obtain a PostScript copy of this document,
	please send an email  message to  eabi@goth.sps.mot.com, with
	the  word  "SVR4" in  the subject line.

	If you wish to obtain a PostScript copy of the EABI, please
	send an email message to eabi@goth.sps.mot.com,  with the
	word "EABI"  in  the  subject line.

	If you wish to obtain both,  please send eabi@goth.sps.mot.com
	an  email message with both words, "EABI" and "SVR4", in the
	subject line.

	If you wish to talk to a human, please send email to
	support@goth.sps.mot.com.

Other references:

	Look in the bibliography of many of these books!

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.