Date:      Wed, 25 Apr 2001 11:12:39 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>
To:        "Vahe Khachikyan" <vahe@fh-konstanz.de>
Cc:        <freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Serial Conection II. Was( Serial connection)

Vahe Khachikyan writes:

 > 1) Why I didn't get anything on terminal after booting from SRM prompt (I mean the whole kernel output)

Which port are you plugged into?  sio0 or sio1?
Are you running -current or -stable?

 > 2) Why the getty doesn't grab the com2 port ?

On the alpha, the second serial port (sio1) has been reserved for
debugging ('flags 0x50' in kernel config file). You should see this in
your dmesg:

	sio1: reserved for low-level i/o

Remove the "flags 0x50" and you'll be able to start getty on sio1.

BTW, Please don't post html to the list.

Drew