Date:      Tue, 8 Jan 2002 21:30:30 -0500
From:      "Eric L. Howard" <elh@outreachnetworks.com>
To:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: root without password ?

At a certain time, now past, Wim Livens spake thusly:

> I have a backoffice multiuser system with "friendly" users, most of
> which need root access quite often.
>
> In order not having them to type the root password all the time when
> doing su, I thought of using a passwordless root account.
>
> Would that be a stupid thing to do (security-wise) if the following
> conditions are met:
>
> - only users that need root access belong to the wheel group
> - you can't login as root directly via telnet (default settings)
> - you can't login as root via ftp (default settings)
> - no other services are enabled in inetd.conf

Bad idea....IMO.  My man page from sudo says...

Once a user has been authenticated, a timestamp is updated and the user
may then use sudo without a password for a short period of time (five
minutes by default).

You should be able to make something work with that...

       ~elh
--
Eric L. Howard           e l h @ o u t r e a c h n e t w o r k s . c o m