Date:      Sat, 27 Feb 2010 13:27:09 +0100
From:      Spil Oss <spil.oss@googlemail.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   FreeBSD-8.0 802.11n support with ath

Hi All,

Got myself an Atheros AR5416 card to upgrade my HostAP to Wireless-N speed.

Somehow I can't find a way to convince the driver to go into 11n mode

# ifconfig wlan0 mode 11b
# ifconfig wlan0 mode 11g
# ifconfig wlan0 mode 11n
ifconfig: SIOCSIFMEDIA (media): Device not configured
# uname -a
FreeBSD server.example.org 8.0-RELEASE-p2 FreeBSD 8.0-RELEASE-p2 #1:
Thu Jan 14 16:35:41 UTC 2010     root@:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/SERVER80
i386
# dmesg | grep ath
ath0: <Atheros 5416> mem 0xfcfd0000-0xfcfdffff irq 9 at device 3.0 on pci1
ath0: [ITHREAD]
ath0: AR5416 mac 13.10 RF2133 phy 8.1

kernel was compiled with
options         AH_SUPPORT_AR5416

The man-page for ifconfig specifies only 11a, 11b and 11g as modes.
The part is functioning fine in 11g mode.

Am I missing something obvious or is Wireless-N support not fully
implemented yet?

Kind regards,

Spil.