Date:      Fri, 22 Dec 2000 11:55:24 -0800 (PST)
From:      Luigi Rizzo <rizzo@aciri.org>
To:        joe@tao.org.uk (Josef Karthauser)
Cc:        rizzo@aciri.org, small@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: a question

> > P.S. for the curious: ssh+sshd+scp crunched together take 190KB
> > uncompressed, versus the over 500KB for openssh and friends using
> > the same method. Another example of a 'fat' app is tcpdump, which
> On the other hand is there anyone who knows openssh who would be
> willing to help make it smaller?
> It seems to me to be better to use code that's already in the tree
> if possible.

Ideally yes, but people might object in polluting the code in the
source tree just for picobsd purposes. Adapting the kernel is one
thing, but for applications it is not such a big issue to have two
source trees when necessary.

Take the tcpdump example -- the version in 3.4 is 48KB when included
in the build. The version in 4.2 is 100KB, as it has lot more
"printers". Trimming it requires #ifdef'ing out parts in many source
files to remove functionality, in the end it becomes a very diffent
thing and it is easier to just use the older version.

Ditto for *ssh -- even worse there because the code is very
ugly and badly structured, and taking pieces away is not trivial.

	cheers
	luigi