Date:      Fri, 3 Sep 2010 15:25:59 -0400
From:      freebsd_user@guice.ath.cx
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Custom Kernel -- Module exclusion by association

My meaning in the 'subject' is:

Currently we want to: 'options QUOTA' in the kernel.  We do not want to
compile any modules that we don't have to (effort to save time).  If
adding support for 'QUOTA' doesn't require any module rebuilding, how do
we specify/exclude 'all' module building using 'WITHOUT_MODULES' in the
/etc/make.conf?

In addition, if there are modules that need to be rebuilt in 'association'
with the 'options QUOTA', or any other kernel addition, how are we to tell
'what is' needed and/or what 'is not' needed before blindly omitting
modules from the kernel build process?

2) The "man make.conf" shows a listing for 'KERNCONF', the installed (7.3)
file: /usr/share/examples/etc/make.conf makes no mention of this.  Should
we decide to employ the use of 'KERNCONF' within our /etc/make.conf, does
this get auto-magically read if we only type: env -i make buildkernel
KERNCONF <--without typing a configuration filename?  Assuming of course
we saved the named file in /usr/src/sys/<arch>/conf.

Thanks for taking the time to read my msg.